Friday, July 3, 2020


Hoping for Shade
July 2 2020


The maples grew fast.
Mere saplings
when they were planted on the sunward side
hoping for shade.

Now, decades later
in the full bloom of summer
their canopies touch
in a bulwark of green
dappled with sun.
Their trunks tower over the house,
creaking in a heavy wind
and casting ominous shadows
on moonlit nights.
And from somewhere in their heights
shedding small dead branches
as if pruning themselves.

Weathered roots
with rough brown bark
spread shallowly over the grass,
permanently bent
like the clawed fingers
of an old arthritic hand.

In fall, yellow-brown leaves
will fill the lawn
almost knee high.
And on a crisp October day
I will kick through them like a child,
delighting in their brittle rustling
and dry airy lightness.

But now, older and wiser
I will also think about growth and decline
and the passage of time
and how we measure out our lives
by counting down.

About how, in a matter of months
these bare forbidding trees
will be reborn.
About the reassuring order
of the seasons and cycles,
and how in winter's welcome dormancy
nature is restored.

While we are linear,
getting inexorably older
with each passing year.

So while the saplings have grown
I have lost height.

And while their leaves have greened and their canopies thickened
I have thinned and greyed.

And while the shade has multiplied
I have only gained in regret
and found myself becoming
more and more forgetful.

How long since I planted them
how fast time really goes.



I've gone to the internet several times to try to figure out just what kind of maples these are. Nothing seems to match: the shape of the leaves, their colours in fall. So generic “maple” is all I've got! Probably some kind of hybrid. They are fast growing. Their roots could be less destructive. Their fall colours aren't much. Yes, the provide great shade. But they're also a lot of work in fall. I wasn't kidding about knee high!

I want to apologize for this becoming another poem about age and time. I go there far too much. I was not intending to, but my process seems to inexorably lead that way: I set out with an opening line and a general idea, but then allow my stream of consciousness to take hold of the keyboard (it used to be a pen; now it's a keyboard) and carry me along. My critical mind is engaged enough to edit the sentences as I go. But all the while, my subconscious is dictating the path.

No comments: