Thursday, July 2, 2020


I Am an Impatient Man
June 28 2020


I am an impatient man.

As if the universe
would bend to my will.

As if time
were not indifferent,
proceeding
at its steady pace
no matter how wishfully
I plead and rail.

Not that I haven't been told
that good things come to those who wait.
That patience is a virtue.
That the slowest trees
bear the best fruit.

Yet what am I to think
in the heady days of June,
when nature teems
and the garden is abundant?
When plants drink-in the sun
greedy for growth,
shouldering their neighbours aside
as they reach ever upward.
When, in the desiccating heat
they burrow their roots deeper
into wet dark soil
before the dryness can kill
the shallow and slow.

And later, when the harvest will not wait.
Before the tomatoes succumb
to cutworm and stink bug.
Before the onion tops shrivel
their potent bulbs rot.
Before browning lettuce withers
and radishes go soft,
peppers decompose
and broccoli starts to bolt.

Nature can't afford to wait,
dithering and dawdling on some leisurely walk
through the indolent summer months.
She must spread her seed
set her buds
fatten up her roots,
before the cool nights of August
and the first killer frost.

Because there's only so much time
before winter descends.
Before the tall corn slumps
the leaves turn black
the golden tassels rot.

Before the forever darkness comes;
when time no longer counts
and all that waiting was for naught.



There is something I've been very impatient about for quite awhile, and I could see how it might very well lead to some poor decision-making. So – even though I'm not quite sure how or why – I'm grateful that I've recently found myself far more philosophical and serene about this. Which isn't of any interest to anyone but me, but will explain why I thought it might be fun to noodle around with the idea of impatience.

Although impatience is often regarded as a vice, passivity and surrendering to fate are not necessarily any more virtuous. Should one be a man of action, or a man who waits for things to happen? I'm not generally a procrastinator, yet have sometimes been rewarded when I inadvertently let things slide. But then, of course, there are those many other times when opportunity is lost.

There is a strong temptation to cliche here: the early bird gets the worm; strike while the iron is hot; good things come to those who wait. I allowed myself one.

When the garden metaphor struck me, it inevitably led to fall and winter, and I couldn't help visualizing the shrivelled stems and blackened leaves. So, once again, I ended up writing a poem about death! Which may have been foreshadowed by my use of “kills” and then “killer frost”, and should become clear when, in the closing stanza, the darkness of winter becomes “the forever darkness”. The end of life, when we rarely regret what we did nearly as much as we regret what we didn't. So the patient man, who serenely waits for the fullness of time, may end up more disappointed than his impatient counterpart.

No comments: