Monday, May 18, 2020


Winter Kill
May 17 2020


The dogs keep appearing with bones.

I see them sprawled on the lawn
gnawing on fractured femurs
that end in long narrow spears,
and broken spines
festooned with sharp tiny points
like intricately carved ivories.

They live in the present
with no conception
of injury or risk.
Because a dog on a bone
is oblivious,
to me
weather
death.

But they are good dogs
and let me confiscate their treasures,
staring up sad-eyed
and wet with drool.

A dead deer, somewhere in the woods.
Winter kill.
Or some ravenous pack
who ran it down
in deep wet snow.

Who swarmed its warm twitching body
before it had even expired,
boring in from the anus
to gorge on prized organs
rich with fat.
Wolfing down
its fixed and glossy eyes,
the oleaginous brain
in its white strongbox of bone.

Then the ravens,
cawing and strutting and thrusting their beaks
into its still steaming gut
for whatever entrails remain,
competing with quick little foxes
to gobble-up what's left.

Until the shy scavengers come
and clean-up the rest;
trampled viscera
spilling out,
the red-blooded muscle
of its strong lean legs.

So the well-fed dogs
are left to mine the bones for scraps
crack them for marrow.

It seems a sad end
for a noble animal.
But then, what greater respect can be paid
to a life well-lived
than to have a meaningful death?
To have a purpose, to be of use
instead of scorned
wasted
discarded.
Because we all want to be needed
as much as we need to be loved.

The after-life of a deer,
decomposing
in the thin mineral soil
and forest underbrush.

A spot of green
where new shoots poke up.
A litter of pups
barking hungrily.
And a full nest
of mottled ravens' eggs;
a clutch of glossy black birds
who will fledge in time for summer.



My readers will not believe this, but every time I sit down to write, I'm hoping for a 10 line poem – at most: something slightly oblique, with lots of powerful allusion and innuendo, and a slightly unexpected killer ending that transforms everything that came before. Certainly not something long, linear, or narrative. Short and sweet and enticingly ambiguous.

And, of course, something fresh; rather than my tired old go-tos.

So what do I come up with today? A long, linear, narrative poem about animals. Dogs and deer, no less. Again!

This seems to be my style, like it or not. Maybe what I'm good at, even though it's not really what I most want. I'm still waiting for that great short poem. In the meantime, I can only hope that whatever readers I have are content to go the distance with one more long, direct, plain-speaking poem that says what it says.

No comments: