Monday, May 20, 2019


Pen Pals
April 12 2019


I have been writing this woman for weeks.

Have never seen her picture, or heard her voice.

Her style is breezy,
like talking over the fence
with an irreverent neighbour,
or the slightly giddy repartee
after a stiff first drink.

While I am wordy, confessional
and meticulously edited,
gushing unguardedly
yet strictly controlled.
These parts of me at war
for her to witness.

I like this distance,
where I can make of her what I want
and anything is possible,
while measuring myself out
with self-indulgent monologues
that spill like waterfalls
onto unyielding rocks.

When physical attraction
is not a factor
we wonder if we're getting at the other's soul
or rather simply imagining
the best of all possible worlds.
As if we each were brains
suspended in vats of nourishing broth,
the burble of oxygen
bubbling up.

So have we gained, or lost,
tapping away on my laptop
thumbs swiping her phone?

Or is a face ten thousand words
a voice a siren song?

No comments: