Monday, May 20, 2019


Confinement
April 22 2019


An invisible river
of frigid air
spills in over the sill,
dropping
like a silken veil
pooling out across the floor.

I think of water
plunging from so great a height
it is atomized into tiny gossamer drops;
like Angel Falls,
a soft cooling mist
where the daring walk in wonder.

But if the window is closed
I toss and turn all night
re-breathing the same stale exhaust;
like a sickroom
with its fetid warmth
and the bodily smell of confinement.

So when it comes to windows
there are 2 schools of thought
     —   fresh air
which the old people said
will keep you healthy and strong,
and sensible indoor air
walled-off from a dangerous world.

But in summer, I sleep out under the trees,
the spicy tang of balsam fir
the balm of evergreen,
the mulchy scent of fertile earth
a cooling lakeside breeze.
And the soft stirring of leaves
as if breathing on their own.

While on the 20th floor
the windows are sealed shut,
recirculated air
filtered and moistened and warmed,
the noise of the city dulled
its dirt and stench kept out.
I press my nose
up against the glass
and a fog of vapour forms.

A slowly spreading cloud
that blocks my view of the world;
peering out
from artificial light
into night's impervious blackness,
from calm climate-control
out to the gathering storm.



I need an open window to sleep. Even on frigid winter nights, I'll often crack it. The cold air pours in over the sill and piles up on the floor, like pooling water, until it over-tops the bed. By that time, of course, I'm cozy warm, cocooned tightly-in under blankets and quilts . The fresh air isn't only a psychological necessity, it affords the luxury of heavy covers, and who doesn't sleep better under all that reassuring weight? I often need a fan, as well: even the lightest movement of air across my face sets me at ease. A close stuffy room seems unhealthy, fresh air invigorating.

Philosophers, old wives, and healers have all debated this weighty question. And I have no doubt as to the answer: hale and hearty outdoor air.

Except, of course, I have the luxury of living out in the country, surrounded by trees, where the air is good and the surroundings quiet. In warm weather, my bedroom is open wide, and I might as well be sleeping outside.

So it's even harder for me to imagine being cooped up in the middle of big city in a climate-controlled apartment behind windows that can't be opened: looking out through triple-pane glass; breathing recycled air; hearing nothing of nature.

No comments: