Monday, February 4, 2019


Sarcopenia
Feb 2 2019


In the faces of these two elderly men
I could see glimmers
of their younger selves.
But the shambling Irishman
with the meaty hands
and head like lumpy pound-cake
had slimmed down nicely;
his surprisingly clear skin
and the delicacy of his newly honed face
bringing to mind words like “distinguished”, and “silver fox”.
How age can compliment a man
as much as it's hard on a woman
in the eyes of the world.
While the smooth young man-about-town
who had squired celebrities
and worn his long wavy hair
with fashionable neglect
had turned gaunt and deeply creased,
his blemished skin
betraying time's ravages.

My own round face
is getting fatter with age,
prosperously bland
in its plump contentment.
And with the same ruddy plethora
that still too easily flushes,
whether with excitement
or embarrassment
or unbuckled gluttony.
This is my father's gift,
whom I've come to more and more resemble,
his visage full
until he neared the end.

Yet how limply clothes hang
on the shrunken bodies
of the very old;
their paper skin and wasted muscle
thin collapsing bone.
The perversity of age;
from the neck up, well-fed,
while the rest
is more Dickensian waif.

No need to elaborate on hair,
except to wonder
how it can disappear on top
while showing up alarmingly
in such odd and bewildering spots.

At some point
I will start tacking on years
to my chronological age.
No longer clinging to youth
but proud to have merely survived,
as if to brag
how well-preserved I am.
The refreshing lies
of the white-haired raconteur,
who has tired of envying the young
and revels in longevity.

So I have this to look forward to:
a fat-faced old man
who claims to be older.
Struggling
like my father before me
as time grows short,
going faster and faster
while I inexorably slow.



I recently watched a terrific HBO documentary on two legendary New York columnists, Peter Hamill and Jimmy Breslin. (https://www.hbo.com/content/hboweb/en/documentaries/breslin-and-hamill-deadline-artists/about.html)

It began with archival film, and then at one point cut to the two men in present time, chatting amiably together. Their older versions were at first so unrecognizable that I found myself confused as to just what these two elderly men were doing on camera. (I suppose I had presumed the film was encomium, and had imagined them dead. Although at the time of this writing and since the film was made, Breslin actually has passed away.) Scrutinizing more carefully, the persisting glimmer of their younger versions came clear. But what a reversal: the lumpy Breslin looking positively handsome, while the debonair Hamill was a wizened remnant of the formerly dashing young man.

It struck me how we all age in one of two ways: either fat-faced, or cadaverous. In the former, faces softening and remaining full even as muscle wasting (the “sarcopenia” of the title) robs the body of mass. I couldn't help but think of my own round ruddy face, wondering how I will look in 20 years. Will I turn out into a Breslin, or a Hamill? Will my fat face get fatter, or will I end up with that lean and hungry look?

This poem was the result.

No comments: