Sunday, February 10, 2019


Digging Out
Feb 8 2019


The smooth surface
of virgin snow
has been wind-blown into long rolling waves.
And in the incandescent light
as night slowly falls
glows a softly luminous orange
as if warmed from within.

The path from the back door
has become an escape hatch
through impassable drifts,
exactly one shovel-width wide
and now higher than my shoulders.
Where I stoop to dig,
the steady rhythmic motion
of a long practised chore.

Each snowfall, I have cleared this path
as if staking out my own small tract
from winter's vast dynasty,
skirting the house 
from front to back.
Until it has become a sheltered tunnel
between white vertical walls
that, like geological strata
ascend through time.
So from old compressed snow
to freshly fallen flakes
I can read its sedimentary layers;
a section of ice
from that near-thaw and freezing rain,
a carboniferous line
from the bad firewood
that sputtered greasy black smoke.

Down here, the wind does not penetrate.
And in the warm flush of exertion
I pause
to survey my work.
The virtuous glow
of manual labour;
the satisfaction
of something you can measure and touch
of a tangible end
of having done.

And feel as if time is on hold
as I gaze out on the accumulation of snow
from the last 3 months;
the world suspended
the season frozen in place.
Storm-stayed, and in no rush.
Because in winter
we have permission to slow
or pause
or even stop,
and often have no choice.
As I lean on the shovel
mind adrift, body at rest
chin on hands
and hands crossed.

Night settles-in,
and with the absence of motion, the lights click-off.
Only the sound of the wind
my regular breathing
and the last of the snow,
falling softly
in the heavy dark.

No comments: