Thursday, February 28, 2019


The Man in the Iron Lung
Feb 14 2019


More and more often, I feel
I'm the man in the iron lung.

Enclosed
from the neck up
in this barrel-shaped vault;
a centaur-like creature
who is mostly machine
with a body of tubular steel.
Where the wheezing in-and-out
of its life-giving pump
has become so regular
I only hear it when it fails.
And where compressed air
weighs down on my chest
for 20 hours a day;
my vital source of breath
that could suffocate, just as well.

It's disconcerting
how a body too infirm to move
can experience such exquisite sensation;
on my bird-like ribs
and legs like stilts
and the virgin soles of my feet,
the private parts
I cannot even see.
How a body desires
but ends up consigned
to a prison it has made of itself.

An act of God?
Or the negligence of my younger self
who let a virus enter?
Who walled-off the world,
evicting himself
from all its earthly pleasures.
Its highs, as well as its lows,
its joys
and accompanying sorrows.

Only my head sits free
of this big metal tank
in a room I know by heart.
Where I watch
as if from behind unbreakable glass;
my heavy extremities
the itch I cannot scratch,
the unquenchable heat
I feel ashamed to ask.

It seems like an artifact
of the early days of medicine,
a loud clumsy machine
of heavy welded steel.
Iron horse, iron lung, iron man.
From before we had conquered nature
      . . . or at least, thought we had.

But nature persists in us all,
and who we are
is inviolable.

Like the will to survive.

Like the urgent drive
to take another breath.

Like the small contorted homunculus
who lives deep down inside
and never lets you forget.



I just watched a brilliant touching movie called The Sessions, starring John Hawkes, Helen Hunt, and William H. Macey. It's the story of a man who contracted polio as a child and is confined to an iron lung.

He lives in his head. He is a poet. He is a sweet and funny man, who appears to have conquered bitterness and resentment. But he is a devout Catholic, carries baggage from his past family life, and struggles with guilt, shame, and recrimination. He yearns to live fully, and feels unrequited desire: for physical touch ...for sex ...for love.

Anyway, as I watched, I felt like I was the man in the iron lung; if an iron lung of my own making. After sleeping on it for a night, this poem came to me, and pretty much wrote itself. If my poetry tends to be bloodless and wary of the confessional, then this may be one of the rare exceptions.

1 comment:

J Stash said...

Nice Blog
Thank you for sharing it
brians club
briansclub