Monday, January 21, 2019


But the Sleeping Dogs Slept
Jan 18 2019












Confused by the light
he sprinted ahead of us,
alarmed, but under control;
as if he could run all night
hardly tiring.
Before he clambered up
the high banks
and vanished into darkness,
leaving a few clumps of snow
runnelling down
the smoothly scoured surface.

Heading north
on a country road
on a frigid winter night.
When the frozen seat had softened
but frost still rimmed the glass.
The warm cocoon, the hum of tires
the heater's steady purr.
A Brahms concerto
coming over the air
from somewhere vaguely south,
before it lost to static
a little further on.

When an impression of motion
in the shifting greys
broke my trance-like calm,
a disturbance
in the cone of light
that cut the icy dark.

A deer? 
                 ...a fox?
                                  ...a large lost dog?
Until my perspective sharpened
and I was certain it was wolf.
Thinking of all the howls
in the lonely hours
when we wondered just how far.
And of its sure powerful stride;
urgent, but not panicked.

Because foxes dart, deer frantically stumble.
And dogs bark
like the overgrown puppies they are.
While the wolf's majestic bearing
left little doubt
who belonged to this land
and who commanded deference.

But the sleeping dogs slept,
their animal warmth
and steady humid breath.
Oblivious
to the feral scent of predators
and ever-present threats.

So up we drove
the winding road
between towering banks of snow.
Like a slender life-line
carved out of winter
by the massive yellow plow,
its acrid smoke, diesel racket
rattling steel blade.

While the lone wolf
bounded freely through the woods.
His keen vision
illuminating the dark,
his enormous paws
padding softly
as he vanished into night.




I was sad to read today of Mary Oliver's death. But as I read the various remembrances, I was reminded how much this beloved and admired poet's style is very similar to mine: often missing the presence of people; revelling in the natural world; descriptive, lyrical, epiphanic; somewhat deprecating of man's place in nature; and written in a direct and accessible style. And I found great encouragement in this, since I often think that my poetry is boring, repetitive, and not coloured enough by deep human emotion and circumstance. What, one more “nature poem”? Another overly descriptive piece, when all I can resort to for inspiration in my uneventful existence (ahh, the romantic life of the poet!) is looking out the window ...again?

So I felt it worthwhile to have a go at this one. After all. Risking “more of the same.” If for nothing more than the pleasure of writing. Not of having written, but of the writing itself. I think as prolific a poet as Mary Oliver would be with me on this, as well.

No comments: