Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My Adventure in Horticulture
April 26 2016


The only year I planted bulbs.

Expecting to see stiff green shoots
pierce the barely thawed soil,
erupt from stubborn clumps of snow
still holding out.
A shock of green, on tired white,
riotous reds, yellows, violets
arresting the eye.

So all spring, I was disappointed 
to see the bare brown bed
overrun with weeds;
like metastases,
seeding the yard
from out of nowhere.

Who knew
there was an "up" to bulbs.
That a native plant
would not seek out the sun
as naturally as water,
stem curling skyward
roots U-turning down,
grappling methodically
into wet dark earth.

So you’d think I could count
on the life force,
a plant’s innate knowledge.

Or was it stunted soil
black thumb
killer frost?
Squirrels, perhaps,
pursuing their own survival
with the ravenous drive
of wild things.

A hard winter, a late spring.
No green succulent shoots.
No brilliant burst
of primary colour.



It's true. Although it was only well after that I realized I must have planted them upside down. And, to be scrupulously correct, a single tulip may have struggled up ...only to die soon after. I suppose I'm too easily discouraged; but that proved to be my last adventure in horticulture.

But as the poem suggests, you'd think it wouldn't matter. That a bulb or seed would know how to grow in the right direction:  know up from down; know sun from earth. 

I hope I was able to conjure the image of those first hardy plants of spring, bursting out when there is still snow on the ground:  their nascent green is arresting, their blossoms are luminous, and their succulence is bursting with the life force.

No comments: