Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Shunned
Oct 10 2015


They lurk
behind the low-rise building
by the windowless door,
banished
from public view.
The kind
that only opens from the inside;
heavy steel
in case of fire.
Beside a treeless lot
where office workers park their cars
and zillion watt lights
burn like bleach
all night long;
a still-life
of the industrial age.
Old Toyotas and rusting pick-ups
that today, look oddly alike,
softened
by a blanket of snow,
plopping down
in big wet clumps.

One of those self-locking doors,
propped open
by an annual report.
Where they hunker down
in unbuttoned coats
against the cold,
cupping cigarettes
wreathed in smoke.

In the early dark
burning points flare
with each deep draw,
lighting-up
puffing on.
Coffee cups
are warmly clutched
in one cold hand,
stubs crushed
in the slurry of slush
wicking-up long pants;
sodden shoes
cuffs streaked with salt.
They lean …hunch …pace
looking wan …tired …grey,
stoic, in the endless wait
for 5 pm.

Exiled to this wilderness
they gather together
for moral support,
the office lepers
who should know better
but continue to smoke.

But ohhhh
the nicotine jolt
to a hungering brain,
the sacrament
of cured tobacco
they celebrate.
With fellow travellers
who also believe
in the sacred leaf;
the daily communion
of the shunned and the scorned,
the newly converted
the bred and born.

Who can tell one another
without a word.
By the yellow stigmata
on their finger-tips,
the stink of smoke
in hair and skin.
That sticks, like mortal sin
in the pitiless eyes
of the righteous.



I guess I'm one of the unforgiving righteous: sternly judging the exiled smokers with a mix of pity, contempt, and smug superiority. It's not winter now; but I think the bleakness of one of those dull winter days when the humidity cuts to the bone is a beautiful fit for the subject. "Pathetic fallacy", I think it's called.

The idea came from this poem -- written by Matthew Dickman and called Minimum Wage -- published in the recent New Yorker (Oct 12 2015). I glanced at the first few lines, and the image that informs my poem immediately came to mind. That was before I got to the 6th line, so I visualized office workers instead of short order cooks. Probably because it's very close to something I recently saw. Anyway, here's how it opens:


My mother and I are on the front porch lighting
each other’s cigarettes
as if we were on a ten-minute break from our jobs
at being a mother and son,
just ten minutes to steal a moment
of freedom before clocking back in,
before putting the aprons back on, the paper hats,
washing our hands twice and then standing
behind the counter again,
hoping for tips, hoping the customers
will be nice, will say some kind word, the cool
front yard before us and the dogs
in the back yard shitting on everything  ...


Once again, I've fallen into religious imagery. I don't think it's because I'm an atheist who feels strongly about it and therefore has some hidden agenda. I think it was simply the accident of choosing banished right there at the start. And then, once I came up with lepers, I couldn't resist: the religious imagery was too much fun! Not to mention that the self-righteousness that goes along with piety let me poke fun at myself.

I remember reading about a foreign visitor to Canada, in the early days of non-smoking offices, commenting in a bewildered way about all the street-walkers congregating around the entrances of public buildings. His only explanation for these exiled smokers was that they must be prostitutes: perhaps it would have been more fun if I'd gone in that direction instead!


No comments: