Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Well-Placed Shim
Oct 11 2015


The ladder came with the place.
Along with the deep orange shag,
firewood
that was mostly dry rot
infested with mice.

A step ladder,
paint-spattered
on wobbly legs
a little battered and bent.
Which would do
for a man who’s hardly handy;
a rickety ladder
in need of a well-placed shim.
Like a deck of cards
under a bad chair
so long as you sit still.

Shakily ascending
I swapped out bulbs
cleared the gutter
cut the low-hanging branch.

How useful is that?
A simple shim
to restore life to balance
steady, level, safe;
a temporary fix
until things inevitably change.
Which is good enough
for a man who’s hardly handy
and all one can expect.

So now
I’m back on solid ground,
anointed by light
and nicely set for rain.
Let the mice
fend for themselves.



Pretty much a true story. The ladder was left by the previous owner, and there’s no doubt why:  it wobbles badly, no matter what; and a good workman would have long since used it for firewood. But I’m not; and I make do. I was using it today on uneven ground:  shimming it up, gingerly testing it. I don’t know how that word came to me, but there it was:  shim. What a great word! What a great concept! Because all of life is improvising, making do, constructing temporary little fixes to get us through. Is a white lie a shim? Buying take-out, instead of home-made?


… And yes, I also inherited some deep-pile shag. Beige; and it’s still in the basement. No mice, but there was a snake in the woodpile. The wood, though, was good.

No comments: