Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Soft-Bodied Creatures
Oct 27 2015


The concrete poured
in a wet slurry
into its wooden form
leaden grey.

I could sense its weight;
the heaviness
pressing into the corners,
the layered pour
settling out.

Where it sat
like cooling lava
and began to set;
smooth
                 ...warm
                                     ...level.

Which is when the maple leaf
drifted onto the slab
dead centre,
translucently thin
brittle with fall.
Its filigree of veins
branching, and branching again
left a fine impression
in the setting cement;
such granular detail
in so coarse a substance,
such evanescence
in so durable a slab.

Ancient fossils
have lasted millions of years,
soft-bodied creatures
in indelible rock.
Like this passing leaf's
permanent mark.

The incalculable odds
that made a fragile leaf
immortal.
And like a found poem,
the random chance
that graced a plain slab
with unexpected beauty.



This is a true story: the single fragile leaf ending up dead centre; the unlikelihood of such a true and fine impression in so coarse a substance.

Although "found poem" usually refers to finding unintentional poetry in overheard conversations or random fragments of prose, all poems are "found". Especially the kind I'm attracted to, which are mostly about the small inconsequential things of daily life (what I've previously referred to as "microcosm"), and which become grist for poetry when I keep myself obervant, receptive, open. That 4th last line found its way into the poem as almost an afterthought. But I think it really makes the piece. Because, in the sense I just described, the poem itself is "found". It says to the reader: " ...look, and listen; there is poetry everywhere, if you pay attention."

I could have pushed this idea and called the piece "Found Poem". But I'd rather leave that to the end, as a sudden change in direction. (And, after all, everything I write could go by that name!) Also, I rather like both the misdirection and intrigue of Soft-Bodied Creatures. I think it pulls the reader on. It doesn't re-appear until well into the poem, an echo that gives the phrase that extra resonance. And I like the way it clashes with the first line: the sharp break, going from soft-bodied to concrete.

No comments: