Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Unfortunately, lacking a scanner, I can't include the actual letter. But I still think the poem stands by itself well enough. I'll add the letter to this post as soon as I can.

 ....Done!  (see below)


Typewritten
Aug 28 2012


A typewritten letter
my elderly parents
found, and sent.
Signed, but not read.

From my father’s father
on a long forgotten
rite of passage
to an adolescence boy.

He speaks
with the stiff formality
of a Victorian man.
His characteristic detachment,
in which my Aunt
was his “wife’s daughter,”
my brothers, the “other two.”
Proper names lost, no doubt
amongst the weighty matters
of his sharp legal mind.
How in a few paragraphs
his idiosyncratic manner
captures the man.

It becomes easier
to understand
my father’s parenting style,
not touchy-feely, or intensely engaged
like modern dads.
He worked hard
earned a living
provided.
Sheltered us
from the daily stress
and never strayed.
No rest
even on the 7th day.

This letter was saved.
Before the internet,
when everything seems cheapened
by easy access,
the promiscuity of the digital age.
By the illusion of posterity,
our deluded faith
in electronics.
Only 2 hard copies,
the secretary’s schooled hand
faithfully taking dictation.
The one-off font
of the typewriter’s mechanical arms,
striking hard, and soft
l’s and r’s
slightly raised.
Signed, but not read.

Yes, the usual clichés
about potential, the future,
a young man
finding his way in the world.
The detached formality
and stern manner
of a strong and silent man,
the no-nonsense patriarch.
Of the disciplined man of habit,
certain of the virtues of his age.

I’m afraid to say
that future is mostly behind me now.
I have probably fallen short.
He is long gone
but his words endure,
conferring on him
a kind of immortality
more robust
than memory.

A man of few words
chosen well.
The reassuring weight
of fine paper.
Still creamy, and stiff,
precisely creased.

No comments: