Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Elegy
for an Ink-Stained Wretch
Aug 31 2012


I will miss
my daily paper.
A dull thunk
on the front porch
on crisp still mornings.
Or falling short
on city snow
dew-soaked grass.
Newsprint
immaculate enough
for birthing babies
kitchen-table surgery.
Serving fish-and-chips
dripping grease.

All the news that fits.
A record of events
that will, in the fullness of time
become history
wrap fish.
Even though
we didn’t know
it was old, by then,
which was good enough for us.
How old news keeps
wrapped in pulp.
Because after almost half a century
I have learned
it’s pretty much the same, day-to-day,
variations on a theme
of venal, vulgar
courageous.

Except the broadsheet shrunk.
Colour
trumped black and white.
And the “Woman’s Section” disappeared,
when it became clear
the Secretary of State
would hardly miss
recipes, and make-up tips.

I never minded ink
smudging my finger-tips.
Inhaled the scent
of pristine paper
crisp and flat,
treasured the heft
news section in hand.
The untouched page, the unexpected,
instead of information feeds
pre-selected.
(Not to mention
Margaret Wente
breezily giving offence!)

I wrote letters, both appalled and incensed,
rejected, mostly.
But sometimes there, in text
cajoling the editor.
A megaphone
for my puny voice,
15 seconds
of self expression,
and a week to preen.

From now on
I must read on a screen,
squinting in
at the hard reflective surface.
Countless papers
tossed across the room
in disgust,
no longer done.
Instead, I will scroll,
silently seethe
at the latest affront,
because screens
are not easily flung.

Yes, I will peer into my plastic machine
at light speed,
on time, and in touch.
But miss the pleasure of the printed page
the kinaesthetic feel.
The end of Saturdays
immersed, but relaxed,
the room strewn
with well-read papers,
coffee brewing black.

Modernity
has overtaken me,
I cannot go back.


I’ve been reading the Globe and Mail – daily, almost religiously – for over 45 years. And August 31, 2012 (the day this poem was written) was the last day the print edition was delivered to this medium-sized city:  a casualty of costs, and our relative remoteness. I fought the change, but ultimately failed.

Today, as I transcribe the hand-written version of this poem into the computer, was in fact the first day reading off the screen. And I must reluctantly admit that it went well. Although perhaps this is just the inner secret techno-geek, who hides out beneath my crusty Luddite exterior, enjoying the novelty of a new gadget.

I’ve taken a little poetic license, especially in the opening stanza. Because our “morning” paper up here never arrived in the morning. But I do recall this from my youth:  that cool crepuscular feeling of early mornings, when paper boys (yes, even I was, for the briefest time imaginable, a very poor one) roamed the streets, expertly tossing their precisely folded projectiles.

I come from a family of readers. Growing up, newspapers littered the den. In those days, in Toronto, there were 3 dailies, all broadsheets:  The Globe, The Star, and The Telegram (later reincarnated as The Sun, which nicely completed Toronto’s peculiarly astronomical taxonomy of papers). We got them all!

I mention letters to the editor. Mine weren’t (and aren’t) often published, but I couldn’t (can’t)  help myself. Because even if they aren’t published (to the everlasting discredit of the editor, I hastily add), there is a great catharsis in the act itself:  the simple act of putting pen to paper. So in high dudgeon, I vent. And as it happens, I had one published on our final weekend of receiving the print edition. So I suppose this will serve as my symbolic farewell to newsprint.

I know I should enjoy the apparent virtue of being more “green”:   fewer trees pulped for my transient pleasure. On the other hand, I am now forced to participate in our technological culture of obsolescence and over-consumption:  all those rapidly out-dated (not to mention over-priced!) iPads and eReaders heaping up in landfills, and leaking who knows what. After all, newsprint is recycled and trees re-grow, assimilating a lot more carbon as saplings than the mature trees they’re replacing. (I’ve always been very good at rationalization!) …On the other hand, the airplanes will fly lighter; the delivery car will remain parked.

And I will continue to read newspapers. Even though the word “newspaper” is quickly becoming as archaic as “dialing” when we make a phone call and “befriending” (I refuse to verb the noun, which I find highly inelegant) when we click a box on Facebook. Ahhh, modernity!

No comments: