Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Easy Prey
Sept 10 2012


The summer of wolves.
An abundance of deer, this year,
easy pickings.

I hear them howl
from 2 directions,
the call and response
of territory
and threat.
And something primordial
in this ungodly chorus
sends a thrill up my neck,
every sense
on hair-trigger alert.

I feel, like them
the intensity of being alive,
as every night
their zeal for living
bursts out, uncontained.
An ancient sound, proclaiming
mastery
belonging
the ties of blood.

I am told my dog
is 90% wolf.
Yet she remains indifferent
to her rightful inheritance,
as she sticks to my side
straining, sniffing
eager for praise.
All the wildness
bred out,
in our collective mission
to civilize
every inch of the world.

But I am elated
at the sound,
filling cool still silence.
And thrilled to know
we are not alone.
That our presumption of control
is a brave delusion,
our dominion
not absolute.

The wolves are restless, tonight.
I test the latch
keep the porch light burning.


The wolves howl like clockwork. On the night I wrote this poem, the pooch and I were out walking after dark. I was hoping to see in her some acknowledgement, some excitement, at the sound. But she remained unmoved, indifferent. I suppose she has drifted too far from her ancestors to feel the call of the wild; to share with me the excited thrill up the spine. 

(And in the spirit of encounters with nature, I'll refrain from mentioning the unmistakeable print of a bear paw on my front door last week; just in case my mother is listening!)


No comments: