Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Intangible Air
May 16 2011


The funnel cloud
touched down outside our house,
hesitating
gaining strength.
I could feel the twister
sucking me in.
I turned
and without a thought, quickly locked the door.
Stupid, I know.

Later
when there was breathless talk
of trees
impaled by straws,
whole houses
lifted off their foundations
deposited blocks away,
the fine china vase
that was all that remained
amidst splinters, and broken glass,
I thought more
about random fate
the illusion of safety.
Of empty space
that only seems that way.

Because we live out our lives
divided by air,
slipping through
as if nothing
had come between.
A cooling breeze
unseen.
Blue sky
in all directions.
Sunsets
in every shade of red.
Forgetting
that actual space is a vacuum,
frozen, black.

Like the space in between
that reveals the truth,
the silences, and things unseen.
In the awkward pause
in a conversation.
In the ungodly wait
for luck to change.
In the seconds lost
between impact
and the gun going off.

Who knew
intangible air
could pack such awful power.
My jaw dropped
looking out the plate glass window
at the roaring cloud
black with debris.
Like a swaggering strongman,
top-heavy, muscle-bound
tottering on smallish feet.
And then moved on,
took the neighbour’s house
cut a swathe through the streets.

And left me standing
behind my door
firmly locked,
as the pressure dropped
a blood vessel popped in my eye.
Power lost,
the street
unrecognizable.
And in its wake
unearthly silence,
filled by the sound of air.
My rapid shallow breathing.

No comments: