Thursday, May 19, 2011

Glottic Stop
May 19 2011


You could drown in a glass of water
some know-it-all said
in grade school.
Mere seconds, and you’re dead,
pulling my leg, for sure.
But after that
I could never drink from a glass
without thoughts of mortality.
The glottic stop,
the flap of frail tissue
that keeps me breathing
without needing to think.
And  seems to catch in my throat
when I do.

I heard about a chunk of rock
that killed a cow in a farmer’s field.
A meteorite, pitted black
surface, turned to glass
by heat,
coming a million miles
to land, by chance.
After that
I found it hard to trust the sky,
raining down lightning bolts
hail the size of golf balls.

The oncoming driver,
whose heavy eyes
closed a second longer,
watching the broken line
tick by
like a hypnotist’s clock.
And swerved
over the thin white divider
after just passing me by.
At 60 miles an hour
a-mile-a-minute,
when a single second
means 88 feet.
Not enough time
for your mouth to go dry
before swallowing
hard.

A believer would call these acts of God,
an atheist
contingencies.
That separate us by less than a second
from blind intersections,
the dumb luck
that comes at us
head-on.

I tried using straws
sucking on ice.
Never walking or talking
when I sipped my coffee,
or quaffed
a long tall cool one.

Which reminds me of the daredevil
on his high tower
looking down,
about to dive into a small pail of water.
Who bails out
descending the ladder, instead,
misses a step
and tumbles backwards,
straight down
into hard unyielding ground.
A second
that must have felt like hours.



An odd poem, that must seem both neurotic and morbid. And certainly something I’ve written about before:  the idea of contingency, blind fate, near misses; everything from accidents of birth, to birds flying into car windows. But it was fun to write, and that alone is enough.

I’m not sure where this began, where this idea of “drowning in a glass of water” came from. Perhaps I was thinking of all the out-dated shibboleths and finger-wagging parental warnings; especially in an era of over-cautious child-rearing, not to mention generalized anxiety.  Neither am I sure where the meteorite or high diver came from. But for whatever reason, both were irresistible images, and I went with them. So I hope it’s not fatally incoherent. Maybe when I re-visit this later, I’ll be in a better position to judge.

Luckily, we’re all very accomplished at denial, at drifting through daily life with our illusion of invulnerability – if not immortality – fully intact.  Otherwise, life would be so fraught it wouldn’t seem worth carrying on!

I, of course, am the atheist in this poem. Not the most comforting world view, but it’s mine nevertheless:  that we are the result of the random intersection of molecules in a cold indifferent universe, and neither illusions of agency, nor illusions of God, will protect us.

No comments: