Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Shallow Graves - Oct 6 2026

 

Shallow Graves

Oct 6 2026


A zombie link

takes you nowhere.

Once, it led to a website;

now, it simply tempts you,

the living dead

stumbling directionless

into the ether of the internet.


They say beware what you post

it’s all forever there.

But links degrade

memory fades

and people change.

So be thankful for forgetfulness

not to mention rotting brains.


I imagine a scary movie, perhaps a parody

  — an army of stale links

marching stiffly, arms outstretched

glassy eyes

staring dully ahead. 

An error message appears 

as I click, and click again.


The internet swarms with them,

old entries 

that exist somewhere

on bulletin boards, in black-and-white text,

embarrassing rants

in shallow graves

festering on the dark web.


Neither living nor dead

they haunt us still;

that there’s a chance

they might come back to life.


The first time I saw that expression — zombie link — I thought it so clever, and immediately wanted to have some fun with it. That was a while ago. No idea why it resurfaced today. And not that I have any dark secrets lurking on the web. 

I take that “forever” warning with a grain of salt. Because it contains some hubris:  after all, nothing is forever. Even the internet. It’s digital, yes. But also depends on actual hardware — servers, cables, power sources, and hands-on management — none of which will last forever. Just like the ruins of ancient civilizations, whose builders must also have thought were the zenith of human achievement and would stand the test of time.   . . . Also, you just not that interesting: no one really cares, and certainly won’t in the future!

No comments: