Sunday, August 13, 2023

Chance Encounter - Aug 10 2023

 

Chance Encounter

Aug 10 2023


He recognized me,

the face, the name

the time we met.


Did he feel slighted

I had no idea?

How, after all those years

it might as well have been

a previous life?


They say forgetting is good.

I'm told that people who can't

are burdened by the past;

their tired brains

sagging with the weight

of mundane biography.


But the conversation was pleasant.

I listened attentively,

and who doesn't think well

of good listeners,

come away impressed

by their conversational skills?


A chance encounter,

and a part of my past

brought back to me,

a vague apparition

appearing out of the mist,

softened by time

and incomplete.


And a moment of connection

in an increasingly fractious world

of alienation

and loneliness.


Most likely, we will never meet again;

a fine gentleman

with a memory for faces,

and I

who can't even remember names.

And if we do

I'm sure I'll forget

we ever met even once.


No comments: