Friday, November 25, 2022

Mozart Died at 35 - Nov 16 2022

 

Mozart Died at 35

Nov 16 2022


Mozart died at 35.

Woolf and Plath

by suicide.

And the romantic poets

who drank themselves to death,

tragic, and hollow-eyed

in some cold dark garret.


Beethoven lost his hearing.

Orwell struggled to breath.

And the self-destructing artists

from Van Gogh to Basquiat.


But we remember them;

posterity has the last word.


I think about my own minor maladies,

the whining

and lame excuses.

How I never sacrificed

by going to war,

never fought fascists 

denounced the philistines

attacked the powerful.

How I still can't make music,

beautiful, or otherwise.


I am listening to a recording

of Concerto # 5

for violin and orchestra,

a virtuoso performance

and one of his most admired.

When I was that young

I had no idea,

and looking back

cringe at who I was.


Too old

to die young

and still no great poetry.

If art requires suffering

I'm condemned to mediocrity.

Can only hope

great art can also come

through hard experience

and the passage of time.


That I'll live long enough

to eventually stumble

on just the right words;

leave behind

at least a single line

worthy of posterity.


There is the stereotype of the artist as tormented and suffering. There is the tragic romance of dying young that makes an artist so much more memorable: the precocity; the lost potential. Is the admiration deserved? Is it the work itself, or more the story? And why do so many great artists have their lives cut short?

If I were to flatter myself my calling myself an artist, I can't claim any of that: no great suffering; still alive (at an age I'd rather not mention!) Any work worth remembering? That's for the reader to decide.

This poem started with the title. I read that Mozart suffered from smallpox, pneumonia, rheumatism, and typhoid fever; and died at the ridiculously young age of 35. How did he produce so much great music in so short a time? Does creativity require struggle and overcoming? And alternatively, can a quiet bourgeois life like mine produce anything worthwhile?


No comments: