Friday, November 25, 2022

Lost Dreams - Nov 8 2022

 

Lost Dreams

Nov 8 2022


I slept fitfully.

Not the deep sleep of oblivion

but dipping in and out.

The way a smooth stone

flat on both sides

skips across the surface

of a still black lake.


So all I have

are fragments of dreams,

as insubstantial

as the wisps of fog

drifting over the same still water.


Strong emotions

that felt important,

and something

that's been deeply troubling

finally resolved.

But what?

Like a skipping stone

that slows to a stop

and is irretrievably gone.


So, is the sleeping version of me

preternaturally wise?

Does the subconscious have answers

my waking self

can neither access

nor understand?


I lie still

eyes closed

trying to prolong that twilight state

between sleep and wakefulness,

but the harder I reach

the further my dreams recede.


Although perhaps

it's best not to see

into that dark subliminal place

where dreams reside.

Let them do their work

out of sight.

Leave night

to the bottom-dwelling me,

that subsurface creature

who never comes up to breath.


No comments: