Sunday, June 5, 2022

Black Cloud - June 5 2022

 

Black Cloud

June 5 2022


Cold feet, warm heart, they say.


As if bodily function

was a zero sum game.


As if every flaw

had its consolation.


As if all heat was the same;

temperature and temperament

ardour and anger.


As if the cold pale fish

I reluctantly offer

when a hand reaches out to be shaken

requires no apology;

because deep down inside

a fire burns

with love of man

and generosity.


On even hot summer days,

hands in my pockets

thick wool socks.


And then days like this,

when I feel the ice

seep through my veins

and clutch at my heart.

Disillusion and grief

and a smouldering rage

I cannot contain

have drained the warmth

completely out.


A black cloud

hovers over me.

Cold hands and feet.

A heart of stone

that barely beats.


I have Reynaud's Syndrome: cold hands and feet. I was sitting thinking how cold my feet were, and the old expression came to mind. I decided to just riff on it and see where it went. A rather dark place, apparently. Maybe less time with the newspaper would be a good idea!

No comments: