Friday, December 10, 2021

One Can Only Hope - Dec 7 2021

 

One Can Only Hope

Dec 7 2021


I hope it can be fixed.


Because I struggle with change

in general.

Because the old stuff was better,

built to last

not obsolescence.

And because it was simpler, as well;

a few basic knobs,

all analogue, no electronics.


But mostly because

there is too much waste in the world;

used once, then tossed away.


The white enamel finish

still shines

and barely has a scratch.

I could only have hoped

to have lasted so long

yet kept my looks.


A load of laundry, of course

is hardly rocket science.

A dutiful wash, rinse, spin,

clicking through its cycle

reliably every time;

then sitting quiet

in its basement corner

until the next wash day.

I can only hope

to be so unassuming,

as competent

in such a modest way.


I am also analogue

and not aging too badly.

At least I try to keep up

the regular basic maintenance,

although admittedly

some broken parts

have needed replacement.

I came, however, with no manufacturer's warranty.

And the older I get

the more unfortunate noises

I seem to emit.

Which can be somewhat embarrassing,

and I can only hope

will be politely ignored.


It would be impolitic

to comment on the newer models

by way of comparison,

the latest stuff

that now comes

in every style imaginable.

Yes, youth is enviable,

but I suspect not as robust

and somewhat prone to breakage,

hardly as content with waiting

as quietly and patiently

without needing to be noticed.


It's now in pieces on the floor

in need of a part.

Good as new, they promise, placing the order.

And how inspiring to hear

that after all these years

a fresh start

is even possible.


One can only hope

I say to myself

as I show him the door.


No comments: