Friday, March 4, 2016

In Touch
March 3 2016


I am bad at keeping in touch.
Busy lives claim us
people drift away.

If all language is metaphor
then what could be more telling
than the human hand?
A lover’s private semaphore,
interrogating bodies
skin-to-skin
curve-on-curve.
The manly grip
as good as his word.
An infant in arms
in the moment of birth.

The dialect of touch,
from the beginning of life
to the rites of death.
Her naked remains
washed, and anointed
and laid to rest.

We stroke egos
prod memory
touch the heart.
Feel-out, slap-down
hold-off.

The privileged deaf
who talk with their hands.
Who can fill a room
with silent laughter,
ring tears
from fingers that flash
like quickly clacking tongues.

More often than not
it’s the women in our lives
who are good at reaching out.
Like lines of gravity
she holds us in her light,
minor planetoids
orbiting close.
The gentle pull
of a well-timed note,
a card, a call
a mention.

Sometimes, it’s almost telepathic,
the pressure of thought
rippling out in waves.
Like the other day
when you crossed my mind, and stayed.

When I could feel your hand
touch where I love to be touched;
as if distance
were immaterial,
time had come unstuck.



Nothing could be truer than the opening line. I think this applies to men far more than women. I know my mother was the glue that held extended family together. (I say “held” because, now over 90, she is increasingly limited by her slow cognitive decline.) And I know that married men (my two older brothers, for example) defer to their wives to maintain the social ties. So it’s bachelors like me who are most likely to drift off.

There are a lot of metaphors for touch in the English language. So it was fun to play around with this. Even neuroscience tells us how important hands are:  the homunculus – that miniature representation of the human body in the cerebral cortex – has disproportionately large fingers and hands. I would have liked to shoehorn that idea into the poem. Unfortunately, “homunculus” isn’t a very poetic word! And this would probably have been too self-indulgent a digression.

Physics is a recurring trope here. I think because the art of keeping in touch is like action at a distance:  like gravity, an invisible but persistent force. And this emphasizes the metaphorical power of the expression:  that is, you don’t have to literally touch in order to keep in touch.

I quite like quickly clacking tongues, if only because you can’t say it without actually feeling your tongue “clack”! But I think my favourite lines are A lover’s private semaphore,/ interrogating her body/ skin-to-skin. Because “interrogate” is a powerful word. And “semaphore” nicely conveys this idea of action at a distance, only to have “skin-to-skin” whipsaw the reader back into something that’s intensely and literally tactile.

The ending brings the poem back to the opening line:  from wandering off into generality, the focus narrows back in on the personal. There’s clearly a story here; but it’s left to the reader to write.

No comments: