Monday, March 7, 2016

Beeswax
March 4 2016


It strikes, sputters, flares.
I cup my hand
and bring the match-stick close.

The smokeless wick
the candle lit
the room infused with gold.

A welcome kiss
our night begins
to have, and touch, and hold.

Beeswax burns clean.
Its honeyed scent
is flowers in spring,
its flame
strong, steady.

And will last, at least, ‘til dawn.
As inexhaustible
as the busy bees
who swarm and buzz and sign,
the drones, who bide their time.
As the voluptuous queen
in all her sprawling lumpy bulk,
churning-out little worker bees
to carry on the hive.

In the warm glow, and soft shadows
our imperfections are disguised.
Making love, by candle-light
all night long.



All I set out to do was write something simple, and short. But no ideas.

A beautiful beeswax candle was sitting on the table right in front of me. I picked it up, and sniffed. How beautifully they burn, I remembered: the flame steady, clean, and delicately scented. And how long they last:  you could make love all night, by beeswax.

So this poem is an indulgence, a bauble, a bit of whimsy and fluff. And if it seems far too sentimental and romantic for me, it is. But what else goes better with candlelight? House fires? Power failures? Rampaging mobs, with pitchforks and torches? No, surely not!


(Btw, try googling “queen bee”, as I did. Some interesting pictures turn up!)

No comments: