Monday, March 7, 2016

Good Provider
March 7 2015


My father must have shovelled coal
in the dim basement
in the old house
where the big black furnace lurked,
like some multi-armed beast
in beaten armour
with a thick patina of soot.

Dark bituminous chunks
clattered down the chute.
Choking dust
hung blackly,
suspended
in the weak incandescence
of a single bulb.

Ducts rattled, heat raged.
Fire roared
in its cast-iron bed.
The tired grate
glowed cherry red
if left untended for long.

It was small, post-war,
on a raw plot
on a dirt road
on the far suburban fringe.
He worked hard
was a good provider.
Then came home,
and shovelled coal.

I am not old
but have learned how slippery memory is.
All I have
are fragments, and glimpses
of what may have been.
Yet how medieval
that life now seems.
Demonic chimneys
smudging the sky.
Damp cellars
with little head-room
and earthen floors.
And a bad furnace
like some antiquated forge,
with its delicate balance
of fuel and air
flue, and damper, and ash.
Demanding coal
shovelled by hand.

A milk-man, a bread-man
saluting door-to-door.
A man delivering coal.
And a father who shovelled it,
tie loosened
shirt-sleeves rolled.

I was too terrified
to step downstairs.
All I know
is that the house was always warm
the coal bin never empty.
And that the temperamental furnace
at which even my father cursed,
which would have devoured children, if left to itself,
had its fire dutifully tended
its hunger fed.
Heat coaxed
from its blackened core.



I have a vague fragmentary memory of our old house, its dank dark basement, and that ancient coal-burning furnace. I can picture my father as a young man with a young family, dutifully tending this insatiable and temperamental beast. While we, his small children, were too afraid to even go downstairs; took for granted our food and shelter and warmth.

Nowadays, basements are beautifully finished recreation rooms and hi-tech entertainment centres. We thoughtlessly heat with solar or clean gas, at the touch of a thermostat. I think of all the other social, cultural, and technological change over the intervening years – attitudes to smoking, drinking, sex, seatbelts, pollution, gender, and race; never mind iPhones and satellites – and realize what a different world we inhabit after such a relatively short passage of time. So I guess I wrote this as a way to document what life was so recently like. My memory that far back is tenuous, at best. So  I can just imagine how shocking this will seem to anyone even a little younger than me (I was born in 1955):  imagine, actually shovelling coal in your own home!

...Since I originally posted this, I had a chance to check with my older brother. And it turns out memory is, indeed, slippery. The furnace was oil, not coal. Although apparently my father told a story about neglecting his coal-shovelling duties at his old family home, and allowing the furnace to die in the middle of night in a Winnipeg winter. So I suppose this tale must have combined with my childhood aversion to that dark basement and produced a false memory. Nevertheless, I'll keep the poem. Because -- true or not -- it says a lot about fatherly duty, as well as post-war suburban life.


No comments: