Saturday, December 1, 2012


Surrender
Nov 28 2012


The dog is restless.
She is at the picture window,
regal nose
smearing the glass.
The front door
where heavy winter air
presses in,
molecules of scent
she sniffs like a vintage red,
but without the pretension.
Cruises by her empty bowl
with a dog’s unquenchable hope,
licks again.

She is insistent with my hand
cajoling pats.
Her majestic head, and silky coat,
this beautiful pet
innocent
of vanity.
It’s the reassurance  of touch, she seeks,
a creature whose body and mind
are one,
unhampered
by analysis, and rumination.
Whose inner life
is no less movement and sensation,
racing in furious circles
just because she can.

No longer the impatient pup
she stoically waits;
because, unlike us
she has no illusion
of agency.
In the fullness of time
things come,
or they do not.
She holds no grudge
slips from under the past.
Her happiness
is uncontingent.

So she resigns herself to sleep,
a dog’s sensible default.
In my lap
as I try gamely to read,
her weight, her heat
a reassuring presence.

Language fills my head.
But her exquisite ears
hear only my breath,
quietly in and out
accompanying hers.
Deep brown yes
dilated wide
lock onto mine,
mildly perplexed
but with utter acceptance.
Black bottomless pools
I cannot penetrate.
She sighs and stretches
settling.
The unknowability of others,
even those we love.

Words, not connecting
sentences empty.
OK, I relent, let’s go.

A walk, in the bracing cold.
Where she is in her element,
all animal spirits
the wonder of snow.
She has snapped me in
to her long invisible leash,
inexhaustible energy
connecting us
urging me on.

As if a weight had been lifted
I relinquish control.
For now, the dog will lead;
and for me
peace
in surrender.

No comments: