Wednesday, December 19, 2012


Sixth Sense
Dec 18 2012


As much disgust
as the queasy flush
of fear
in its phantom presence.

Not that I actually see
the small grey blur
scurrying through
my peripheral vision.
The sensation flashed
from the dull rim of an idling retina
directly to my reptilian brain.
And the primal rush
of blood
seconds before
I came to my senses.

A small grey mouse
in the wedge of darkness
behind the bookcase.
I imagine it trembling,
whiskers twitching
delicately sniffing the air.
And tiny fingers
on pink-skinned hands
that remind me of a little man’s,
one who understands
the power of stillness.

Did I read somewhere
their DNA is nearly human?
That we are descended
from mouse-like creatures
much like them?
Which would explain the confusion
as to man’s essential nature   —
predator
or prey?
Sometimes cowering darkly,
and sometimes swagger
as if divinely ordained.

In mean Septembers
they squeeze in nimbly
rarely glimpsed.
But I cannot bring myself to share
my space,
panic
at Malthusian contagion
their pestilent reign.

I contemplate the limp grey body
dangling from its neck.
Small black eyes
still shiny, but fixed.
Delicate hands
surprisingly pink.
And the long stiff tail
that seems snake-like, alien,
repulsive with death.

But it was either freeze
or this merciful end
I console myself.
And take small satisfaction
I am no longer squeamish,
fastidiously lifting the puny spring
featherweight, released
into the dormant garden.
Such an insubstantial thing
landing soundless.
To be gone
by morning,
which I also never see.

When my neck went stiff
suppressed a shiver.
As if a brisk September's
cleansing air
could make me less
complicit. 

No comments: