Friday, December 7, 2012


Extinguished
Dec 3 2012


There are still dark places
left in the world.
Where no man-made light
diffuses through the murk.
And where I try to believe
nature won;
the planet survived us,
we succumbed
to our greed.

And me, an accidental witness.
To stars
that have never been seen.
Black,
too deep to bear description.
The aurora, its magic restored
from the cold reduction of physics.

You get to such places
by human-powered means.
Past the end of the road.
In nifty boats
you can paddle, and carry.
Where you extinguish
all artificial light,
learn to see in the dark
feel your way,
cultivate
your 6th sense
and intuition.

And listen, of course.
Because the world is never still,
especially when you quiet yourself
pause long enough to hear.

Crashing through the wilds
‘til I stop.
Which is when I look up
at a clear night sky
unobscured by light,
and feel myself shrink
to insignificance.

So when the last dark place is gone
the night sky lost,
will my cosmos contract
to a dull uniform glow
with nothing beyond?

And I
imagine myself a god
on a claustrophobic planet
circling a single sun?

No comments: