Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Watching Birds
June 17 2012


As if knowing their names
would bring me closer to nature.

I recognize crows and gulls
and little else,
a black and white world
of loudmouths, and roughnecks.
The exceptional jay, in blue iridescence
the robin’s red breast.
Both aggressive anti-social birds,
in spite of the beauty
that so delights us.

The woods are full of sound,
warbles, trills, and tweets
I only notice
when silence falls  —
in the shadow of raptors
the gathering storm.
All those small grey birds
in dense protective thickets,
flitting between the trees
invisibly roosting.

But this business of naming
is a human conceit,
another illusion of control.
I value my naïveté,
it makes me attentive, receptive
impressed
by the extravagance of nature,
her endless experiment
in diversity.

Just as my eyes adjust to night,
emerging layer by layer
from darkness,
the longer I look
the more I see.
There is a purity
to such indiscriminate vision,
unencumbered by category
or designation.
I suppose I could pose as an expert
tossing off Latin names
sneering at the common ones.
But I’d rather sit still
and watch,
an inconspicuous witness
who feels no need for lists,
for checking-off species
like keeping score.

Never hoping for an orphaned bird
blown thousands of miles from home.

No comments: