Tuesday, June 5, 2012


The Male Gaze
June 4 2012


To be of a certain age
we say of women,
amused by the innuendo
imprecision.
Another coming of age
but hardly of her choosing.

And men
of whom it is said
grow old more gracefully,
well-weathered
distinguished in grey.

So exactly when
does the male gaze
become undesirable,
turn from welcome lust
to disgust,
and I
a dirty old man?
And does she realize
in so little time
she will surely become
invisible?

Truth is
we are all objectified,
because no one gets that deep
inside,
not even ourselves
our own inner life.
We are all surface
enigmatic and inscrutable.
Even if
the package begins to droop,
the supple glow
is reduced
to a hard protective shell.

I was a man in control
who exercised power.
But now
defeated, deposed
I keep my looks furtive,
my gaze
to myself.

No comments: