Thursday, March 1, 2012

Shovelling Snow
Feb 29 2012


Shovelling snow.
Shedding clothes
layer by layer.
The ruddy glow, the frozen nose
sniffle-dripping.

Giving-in
to my inner obsessive,
fussing over ruled edges
sheer cuts.
I begin straight down the centre,
and finish by sweeping up
the last dusting of snow.
And then, the shovel is neatly stowed
in its appointed place.

This is how we serve our cars
which are otherwise ignored,
left out in the storm
salt-stained, and stoic.
As they convey us faithfully
shuttling to and fro
in dryness and warmth,
peering out
at winter.

I grunt
heaving and lifting,
think
about heart attack victims
who were sure
they were far too young.
About minor victories
that go unsung.
Propped
on my trusty shovel
in contented smugness,
bourgeois duty
done.

And think about sun
that will surely come
in 2 short months,
melt it all
to nothing.
Make my pride ridiculous
my precision embarrassing,
such neatness
hardly necessary.

But in the dead of winter
it’s hard to figure
on spring.
So I clean.

To keep nature in its place
the next ice age
from grinding our homes
to smithereens.
Crushing
human conceit
under mile high mountains
of snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is a power in the pen of a poet
that few men
truly understand.
once the mind
of a woman
is stimulated
her body
surely follows

signed
your anonymous fan