Wednesday, March 7, 2012

People My Age Are Running the World
March 5 2012


I imagine at some point
I will feel all grown up.
Certainly, I will get old
and look the part,
which is to say
invisible.
A kid
insecure, and immature
in someone else’s body.

Most likely
this was not a question
considered by my parents,
when children followed marriage
and what was expected
of man and wife
easily went unsaid.
Because when money was tight
and the day-to-day a flood,
treading water
took the place of philosophy.
No time for solipsists
indulging 
in existential angst,
paralyzed
by introspection.

Of course, they had a war
to make them tough,
a depression
in which to grow up,
imprinting lessons
of thrift, and loss.
So was it peace and prosperity
that made us soft?
Are we the centre of attention
long after
the admiring gaze has gone?

Like them, we carve a notch
for rites of passage,
the milestones
of house, and spouse
and child.
But feel like impostors,
bad actors
who will eventually be caught
and shamed.
Which would be OK
if it weren’t that people my age
were running the world,
and it’s so clear to see
should have never been 
in charge.
Naked emperors
in their finery,
in mortal fear
of discovery,
just like me.

So I will continue to feel inadequate
while my parents simply got on with it,
and their parents
re-invented the world.
As we 
let our ennui, and greed
tear it down,
exhaust its wealth, and beauty.
Adolescents
never thinking ahead,
'til inertia
carries us over the edge.

When will we feel like grown-ups
who think for ourselves?
Manifestly believe
in our virtue?

No comments: