Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Single Plant
Feb 14 2012


I am ashamed to say
I have a single plant.
I’m sure I knew its name.
once.
But I recognize it 
from shopping malls, office hallways,
where it survives the benign neglect
of coffee spills, and cigarettes
half-smoked.
A sturdy ornamental
with succulent leaves,
dull green
with dust.

It has survived
because it thrives in extremes
of wetness;
prefers its feet dry,
with a rare intemperate soaking.
Like a tropical downpour
in some exotic locale
where its ancestors would have flourished.

So we suit one another.
An anonymous plant
attention lacking,
and me
its feckless master,
who should not be entrusted
with living things.

Today, it was drooping badly
leaves bleached and dry.
So I was amazed, and gratified
how quickly it filled out
before my eyes,
rising-up turgid, and bright
with a single exuberant dousing.
Who knew
a rooted plant
could actually move
Like watching asparagus shoot skyward
in season.  
I felt redeemed,
as if the governor had called
with a last-minute reprieve.

Moral hazard
attaches
to indestructible plants,
rewarding men like me
for such lax stewardship.
My undeserved companion
cheering up the place,
free of rancour, and blame.

But sadly
still unnamed.

No comments: