Thursday, January 12, 2012

Uncertain Ice
Jan 12 2012


Even in January
I couldn’t be sure
of the ice.
The complex strata
of freezing,
like geology
in real time.

Top-down
there’s fresh snow, uncertain crust.
The sound of foot-steps
muffled.

And bottom-up
bedrock ice.
That began as a glaze
on a brilliant lake
one October morning,
nascent ice, near shore.
I cannot explain
the unearthly sound it makes,
tinkling like tiny crystal chimes
in the preternatural stillness.
Easily shattered
until one cold day, it lasts,
hard-pan
impervious.
Next, the crunch
of crystallized snow.
Remodelled
by pressure and thaw,
like a stratum of rock
deep beneath the surface.

But it’s the layer of slush
that throws me off,
hidden, in the middle
in-between.
Where liquid water
has no right to be,
and wet feet
are deadly
in cold this deep.
Every step
as if I’m falling through.

Black water
awaiting me
underneath,
dense, and airless.
Which will never freeze;
however deep
into winter.

 

No comments: