Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reading the Season
Jan 24 2012


When you’ve lived in a place
long enough
you know what wind,
what weather it brings.
You read the seasons
like a dog-eared book,
revisiting
a memorable part,
picking-up at the start
of another year.

You are tuned to the light
to birds in flight
the fat, and the lean.
You are rooted in land
which you feel bone deep,
as the planet turns
and the heavens sweep.

It was perfect, today.
High pressure
scoured the place clean 
blinding snow,
wind-whipped
into frozen undulations,
blue sky
soaring high as space.
The wind has died
and only my footsteps
break the silence.
My passage, inscribed
in the squeaky crunch
of snow,
the fine paper crust.
I shield my eyes
for signs.
I do not feel the cold.

I will book-mark this day.
Pen a note
in the empty margin,
leave my mark
on an untouched page.

No comments: