Monday, January 2, 2012

Rapid Advance
Jan 2 2012


I am stuck behind the grader.
The stink of diesel
seeps into the car.
The engine, pounding out power
clatters, and roars.
Ignored
by the smoking man
sitting high up over me
enclosed in glass.

The massive steel blade
is churning up snow.
It peels-off, unfolds
in a smooth continuous arc,
hardening fast
in a wall of dirty white.

The road, scraped flat
is an easy drive.
So why am I
so itchy to pass?

Because all I have is speed.
Because I feel so inadequate,
in my cramped compact car
behind this massive machine.
A supplicant
among the powerful.
The small man
who feels he must act
as if he’d conquered France.

But trapped like this
I can’t even be bad,
over-compensate, drive rashly.

The high-pitched whine
is pushing 1st.
The choking fumes
are getting worse and worse.
And I am Napoleon, cocksure,
marching into Russian winter.

No comments: