Wednesday, April 20, 2011

First Draft
April 20 2011


The first draft
is always in long hand.

Like anything we start
we assume it will all end well.
That the rules
are for everyone else,
and we are above needing nice straight lines
to follow.
And that our penmanship
may be illegible,
but in retrospect
make perfect sense.

Some find the blank page daunting.
Some doodle in the corners
fiddle and fold
spill hot black coffee.
But I love an empty canvas
bleached white bond.
It feels like an uninhabited island,
with low-hanging fruit
south sea beaches
a mast, growing slowly longer
above the shimmering horizon.
Bringing characters to join me
in this brand new world,
provisions
of fresh new words.

The ending
may seem inevitable,
but I had no idea when I set out.
I feel like a willing instrument
a receptive channel
an amanuensis,
in a state of suspended awareness
looking on
amused. 

Until the final version
is printed out
and seems inviolable,
with its nice neat stanzas
and formal font.
When the first draft
that began
with a stab of the pen, a hopeful sentence
lies
crumpled in the trash.

And then, I send it out into the world,
hoping it will, eventually, be read.
And knowing it will be re-invented 
by each new reader.
That the first draft
never really ends.


It’s been quite awhile since I’ve written a “process” poem like this:  that is, a poem that’s about the act of writing, the creative act.

I’m not sure if the 2nd stanza succeeds in the way I intended. It was supposed to allude to starting out in life:  things like youthful rebellion and mistakes; the utter unpredictability of all the twists and turns and forks in the road; and the foundational faith that it will all eventually turn out OK. That, as the saying goes, life may not be a dress rehearsal; but still, every moment of it is a first draft!

The one thing I would have liked to add is how rhyme is a gift, and often takes me by the hand and leads me through a poem:  how simply the sound and resonance of words gives me all the next line, and then the next. In this case, it may not have come by rhyme, but I’m quite thankful for the gift of “the uninhabited island”:  what turned out to be a nice gentle metaphor. And which in turn, gave me some nifty rhymes:  island …horizon …inviolable. Well, in the first draft, anyway(!):  since in the final version, the stanza with “inviolable” ended up getting moved down.

I try to avoid big words like “amanuensis”. After all, no one wants to accompany their poetry with a dictionary. And the more you have to process the language, the less you’re able to lose yourself in the poem. Music is the best analogy:  the way it enters directly into
the brain and touches the emotions and the intellect without any cognitive processing. This is the effect I strive for (strive for, if not often achieve!) in my poetry.  But in this case, “amanuensis” was just too perfect to resist:  the meaning is exact, and the mellifluous resonance with “receptive” and “suspended awareness” was just too delightful to let go.

The description of this sort of trance-like state – the “channelling” – is very much the way the creative process has always felt to me. I suspend that logical, analytical, intellectualizing habit of mind that comes most naturally to me, and try to be more intuitive, visceral, and passively receptive. I think my most natural form is the essay; so poetry is always a challenge. And the most challenging part is where it diverges most from the essay:  the “less is more” part – leaving  stuff out!

As the poem says, I had no idea what the ending would be, where I was headed when I set out. So that I was somehow able to call back to the “first draft” was very gratifying. And the sentiment in that last stanza is absolutely true. People will read or hear my work, and blindside me with the most surprising interpretations. And just as often, miss some of the subtle allusions and ambiguities into which I put so much effort. But all that is exactly the point of a work of art (or whatever, since “art” sounds awfully presumptuous and grandiloquent when using it to describe what I do):  like your child, you have to send it out into the world, and then let it go. It becomes the reader’s (or viewer’s), not yours.

No comments: