Friday, August 13, 2021

The Perseids - Aug 13 2021 [REVISED - Aug 19]

 

The Perseids

Aug 13 2021


The meteor shower came and went

somewhere overhead

behind an overcast sky.

But when I read that there's a streak of light

just every few minutes,

I realized

there wasn't much to miss.


Because instead of a few random flashes

shower” sounds like fireworks, and light-shows,

a pyrotechnic display

illuminating the heavens

to astonished ooohs and ahhhs.

So I suspect they're over-selling the thing.

Like a rapid-fire huckster

hawking his wares,

a carnival barker

pitching the tallest man in the world

to all the rubes and gawkers and marks.

Who was just some poor soul

with sad eyes

a sore back

and clown-sized shoes,

who had a hormone disorder

and mostly sat down.


A meteorite

is what little survives,

a scorched rock

still hot

from its fiery fall to earth.

Like an envoy from outer space

with traces that date

to the birth of the planets.

Now this is what I'd pay to see

or happily stay up late for,

something alien

that I could hold in my hand

and forensically examine.


Looking for signs

of the origin of life.

To be inspired

by the majesty of nature.

To reassure myself

that beating the odds

is actually possible.


Or perhaps to remind me

how fragile we are

under the thin blanket of air

that shelters us from space,

a hostile universe

full of hurtling fragments of rock

that couldn't care less

whether or not we're here.


Both. It was cloudy here. And after I read a bit more, the Perseids sounded disappointing. “Shower” is over-selling it.

Where I live, there is little light pollution, so I'm often able to see not just a brilliant night sky, but meteors. So one every few minutes or so doesn't sound worth waiting up for.

But a meteorite would be an exciting find. As the poem says “an envoy from outer space” you can actually hold in your hand: fresh from the cosmos; uncontaminated by earth.


No comments: