Saturday, June 12, 2021

The Trinity Session - June 11 2021

 

The Trinity Session

June 11 2021


The pleasure I feel

when I share a favourite song,

introduce an artist

she's likely never heard of.

Especially when it resonates;

how we have this small thing in common,

and how pleased I am

to have thought of her

when I was listening alone.


How we unconsciously search

for commonalities,

and how these minor intersections

are so easily found

and provide such delight.

Especially when we find ourselves preoccupied

by difference,

the othering

of nations

and races

and faiths,

the xenophobic suspicions

that cleave

as well as harden us.


We are generations apart,

and now I realize

that all those lost years

that seemed to pass in a blur

conferred more than I imagined,

and that from simply having lived

I have learned.


As well as heard.

The Cowboy Junkies, for example,

who should never be allowed

to fade to black.

How sad

that our fascination with novelty

means too little endures,

that overwhelmed by abundance

so much of worth gets missed.


And how odd

that cleave contains opposites,

meaning to split

as well as to join.

That hardening makes us impervious

but also fully formed.


I hear her a cappella voice,

the high plaintive sound

of pedal steel guitar.

Sweet Jane

my misguided angel

walking after midnight under moonlit skies.

And me

so lonesome I could cry,

200 miles more

and drawing closer to her fire.





I've had this album on repeat in the CD player in my car. I was thinking that the next chance I get, I should introduce my young friend to it; this wonderful piece of music that risks being consigned to obscurity by generational change. I was thinking how pleased I'd be if she loved it as well.

And then I was thinking that in a world riven by difference and belligerence, by suspicion and xenophobia, how we seek out commonality, and how much of it there is between us. Human nature has programmed us for both affiliation and othering. But the better angel of free will means that we are able to choose which.


No comments: