Wednesday, June 10, 2020


Hand to Mouth
June 7 2020


Blueberries
in a white ceramic bowl,
a silver spoon
to scoop them out.

From forest to table
hand to mouth.

Still warm
in the late August sun
where they've been ripening all summer.

They are easy picking
this late in the season,
raking loosely spread hands
through small green leaves.
From the low bush
where they grew untended,
in sandy soil
in this northern forest
scorched by fire.

Before the bears gorge.

Before they shrink
in the desiccating heat
that will concentrate their sweetness
but leave them small and dry.

Before wild yeast
raining out of insubstantial air
ferment the over-ripe fruit
and turn them potent.

Still plump and firm.
Still bluish-purple
with a blush of white.
Smaller than commercial berries
and more variously sized.

No need to wash
wild fruit
we've picked ourselves.

No need to wait
for the fancy bowl
or fussy spoon.

No cold fresh cream
or adventurous pairing.

We, too, gorge like bears,
as if preparing for winter
and just as unmannerly.
With discoloured lips
and purple-stained hands,
bits of skin
between our teeth
to worry with our tongues.



I really admired and enjoyed this poem, by Maxine Kumin. It came to me via the Writers Almanac newsletter, which is curated by Garrison Keillor and arrives daily in my inbox.


Appetite
by Maxine Kumin

I eat these
wild red raspberries
still warm from the sun
and smelling faintly of jewelweed
in memory of my father
tucking the napkin
under his chin and bending
over an ironstone bowl
of the bright drupelets
awash in cream
my father
with the sigh of a man
who has seen all and been redeemed
said time after time
as he lifted his spoon
men kill for this


I envy her ability to distil and condense, in stark contrast to my weakness for prolixity.

I love how the memory of her father appears in this simple vignette. It's this personal and emotional touch that makes her poem work. If mine fails, it's because it's too bloodless.

What really inspired me was the smallness of subject, as well as how such a small piece allows so much scope in terms of sensation: sight sound and smell, as well as taste. Not to mention the emotional resonance of food in general.

Spellcheck red-lined “drupelet”. So I Googled, and it is a word: each little facet on a raspberry is a drupelet. Stumbling upon a lovely word like that is often enough to kick-start a poem!

I chose blueberries. Because it's my favourite fruit. Because I couldn't have done raspberries any better. And because a poem about the same berry would have been more derivative than inspired.

Oddly, though, my father also relished raspberries. They grew in the backyard of our first house. A suburban house, but wild fruit, since they were neither planted nor cultivated. He was not an outdoorsy guy, or really much attuned to the natural world. But he took great pleasure in harvesting the raspberries from our backyard. Unlike me, he had a sweet tooth, and his favourite was raspberry jam.

No comments: