Sunday, June 16, 2019



Doldrums
June 12 2019



This friend
sailed solo across the ocean
on a young man's journey
to find himself.
At an age
he could afford to be alone,
unmoored from family
in his Old World home,
and not yet at anchor
amidst the rites of passage
of becoming fully grown.



But at some point
we all make landfall
and find a settled sense of place.
Setting out on the path
of manhood
or motherhood
or the burden of care,
when our sea legs are lost
and we forget the sting of salt
and each small perturbation of wind
matters no more.

While I have never been to sea
and can only imagine how it feels
surrounded by water
stretching out to the horizon
wherever I look,
the surface flat
the air heavy
the sails inert,
as if emptiness
weighed them down.
Becalmed
in the vast uncharted middle,
where it feels like forever
and you have all the time in the world,
that liminal space
where one thing ends
and something else starts.

As expected, when you're young;
the restlessness
the lack of direction
the failure to launch.

But just how long
hoping the wind picks up?




Emir Vidjen, my Croatian-Canadian friend and old paddling buddy, once told me about this great adventure he'd had. Who knew this unassuming engineer's quiet demeanour disguised such unexpected intensity and focus? He was reminiscing about that exalted sliver of life when, as a young man on the cusp of adulthood, he felt free, and could trifle with danger, and needed to test himself.

I imagine the hardest challenge of such solo travel is to be alone with yourself. At least for most people. I'm comfortable with solitude, and I'm good at living in my head, so maybe I would cope well. But enforced solitude is different than having a choice, so who knows. Being busy, of course, is the best distraction. But there is no busyness when the wind dies.

Anyway, I never tried anything so challenging at that critical time of life, when one transitions from adolescence to manhood. And, since then, I seem to have drifted, missing the usual rites of passage into adulthood. So now, closer to the end, I'm distinctly out of sync with my contemporaries. Developmentally arrested, one might say.

Lately, I've been acutely aware of this feeling: stalled, in the doldrums, vaguely dissatisfied. So a poem that started with an image of being at sea – the vastness, the sense of possibility, the awareness of how small one is – became very much about being “at sea”, and took the direction it did.

I hope I had a light enough hand with the nautical metaphor. Because it's tempting to get carried away, to show off one's cleverness.

No comments: