Thursday, June 6, 2019


By Means of Loudness
June 2 2019








There was the dismal spring
a woodpecker attacked the house,
his cacophonous rat-tat-tat
hammering into my sleep
day after day
in the the groggy gloom of dawn.

He would dart from a nearby tree;
his electric speed,
the fierceness
in his sharply sculpted form,
his finely coloured markings
a work of art.

I thought he must be deranged,
his delicate brain
rattling back-and-forth
in that small hard skull.
Feeling sorry for myself,
uniquely afflicted with an addled bird
drilling for grubs
in the long-dead siding of kiln-dried wood,
or boring a nest
with relentless zeal.

But then I learned
that in mating frenzy of spring
male woodpeckers display
by means of loudness,
bad-ass birds
at the pointy end of evolution,
their behaviour honed
by all the generations before them
who thrived by making noise.

Like the songbirds, trilling as they court,
squirrels' chattering
and the peeping chorus of frogs,
one more instrument
in the symphony of spring,
its discordant opus
of desire and display
and sexual war.

I, too, feel my blood rise with the season,
the imperative of nature
my animal core.
Like the young men in fast cars,
the athletes and rappers
and dancers busting moves,
we are all woodpeckers on testosterone
living short and fast
and bashing our heads against the wall
to get noticed by girls.

Who feign indifference,
clutching their friends
and giggling coyly.
At the shy and unsure
who hide their nerves with cool.
At the affected poets
the callow pretenders
the boys who would be men.




There is one theory that all the great accomplishments of men through the ages have been motivated by the need to impress women. It's all styling, preening, competitive display. So if it wasn't for sex, would we still be living in caves?!! (A rhetorical question ...but the answer, of course, is no: I'm sure we'd have done just as well (if not better) with the women in charge!)

The woodpecker story is true. And it was a bit of a consolation to learn that this is a common problem, rather than my own private hell. Which is not over-stating it: the noise really did drive me crazy.

It will disturb sensitive readers to hear how I eventually solved it, so I'll leave it at that. But since then, I am on tenterhooks every spring, nervously waiting to hear that horrible rat-tat-tat once again. So far, this cold unpleasant spring, I have been spared. I can only hope their mating dance hasn't simply been delayed by the cool weather.

(Since posting this poem, along with the illustration, I have learned that the bird was, in fact, a Yellow-Bellied sapsucker; which is a type of woodpecker distinguished by its unusual tongue. Since the Sapsuckerlooks much like the Ladderback that appears in the attached photo (which I also learned was incorrectly labelled on Google images as a Downy), I left it as is.) 

No comments: