Sunday, March 17, 2019


Holding Up
March 13 2019


All one can hope
is that in the fullness of time
it will be said
his work holds up well.
So, is this too much to ask?

Unlike this driveway, cleared to the bone
that will soon fill up once more;
asphalt, glistening black
against the virgin snow.

Unlike this garden, dormant since fall
that will need the work of spring,
the weeding, re-seeding
repletion of soil.
Its forgotten carrots
left to rot
returning to the earth,
last year's kale, caught by frost
and left for fattening deer.

Unlike the routine chores
that are either doing or done
or waiting to be,
then need doing once more.
How the kitchen sink needs emptying
the rumpled beds made whole,
garbage bins go out-and-in
my well-trimmed beard re-grows.

So much of our days
spent holding our own;
running in place
as the world circles beneath us
and circles again,
regular as clockwork.

But will the words I wrote decades ago
hold up over time?
Or will I cringe
     . . . wish I could re-write
              . . . disown my younger self?

The consolation is
a poem is never really finished.
Is not even mine,
once I send it out into the world
and relinquish control.

If I learn this poem by heart
will it, too, grow old;
like me
its memory faltering
and a little lost?

As if memorization
could insure posterity.
As if the world
were not oblivious
to the ramblings of an old man.
To the words he long ago wrote
that even he forgot.