Tuesday, March 5, 2019


Big Golden Sultanas
March 3 2019


When I was young
I would pick-out the raisins, one-by-one;
nose wrinkled, eye narrowed,
dissecting raisin bread
of its squooshy contaminants.

I think fastidiousness comes naturally
at that tender age,
when the tongue is not yet jaded
and the bitters taste more bitter
and big golden sultanas
are squishily suspect.
When a powerful sense of purity
orders our lives.
When we find constancy reassuring,
and seek-out fixed boundaries
to explain the world;
like the moat of gravy
walled-off by mashed potatoes,
peas and carrots
not permitted to touch.

I did not know, when I was young
that raisins were descended from grapes
prunes the progeny of plums.
But was put off by both;
concentrated food, in a wrinkled container
that was unlike other fruit
and came from who-knows-where.
That seemed more the stuff of old people,
with their liver-spotted hands
and oddly medicinal smell.

But if I closed my eyes
raisin toast was irresistible,
its crisp caramelized surface
buttered gold,
soft centre
sweet and moist.

And as I am now old myself
I have less regard for purity,
more tolerance
for the ambiguous and complex.
Because I have learned from evolution
that diversity confers resilience.
And because taste has taught me
that difference is salt,
a pinch
improving almost every dish.
That sweetness complements bitter,
and who wouldn't wish
to be the hot habanero
in a pot of slow-cooked stew.

Fresh grapes
in their deep purple skins
are turgid, juicy, perishable;
like fleeting youth, soon past their prime.

While dark brown raisins
are durable and wizened and dry.
Each deeply wrinkled exterior
as unique as each of us.
Such pleasing resistance
soft and firm, at once.
The concentrated sweetness
and hints of early wine
that can only come
in the fullness of time.

No comments: