Tuesday, October 30, 2018


The Small Death of Sleep
Oct 27 2018


The small death of sleep
is how I make sense of them.

The fugitive dreams
that slip from my reach
in that hypnagogic haze,
the 8 hours
of total absence
when I vanish each day.

I lie motionless, and try to reconstruct the plot
but am defeated by its madness.
The images blossom and fade
like watercolour paint
on thick absorbent paper,
the light touch
of the tip of a brush
as colours coalesce.

How much the same
are those first years of life,
which only exist
in the fixed impressions that survived 
time's hectic passage?
Like the black-and-white photos
in an old family album
where the dates and subjects were lost.
And which aren't black and white at all,
but shades of grey
and a kind of sallow pale
that leaves them looking bloodless,
gazing out
through permanently open eyes.
And given how slippery memory is
even these glimmers are never the same.
Like the familial tales
and the stories we make
to make it make sense.

I know I was alive back then
as I know I slept through the night.
But only notionally
because I must have been.
And because I have photographic evidence
of this small child
who bore my name
and lived in this house with us.

We all fear dying
and most of us fear death.
Yet so much of our lives
we might as well not have existed.
An automaton, and his unconscious dreams.
The small child, who learned how to speak
as if it came to him
in his sleep, one day.

Just as the vastness of time
before we were born
is bred in the bone,
the stories we've been told
as real as own.
Perhaps the time to come, as well.
Because the fundamentals of life
are everlasting,
and in any given moment
posterity abides.




I though it was Shakespeare, but apparently “the small death” in reference to sleep is attributed to the Buddha. (Nevertheless, Shakespeare conflates death and sleep as well, perhaps most notably in the lines “the death of each day's life” (Macbeth) and “for in that sleep of death what dreams may come” (Hamlet).)

There are many things I could say about this poem. But in this case, I prefer to let it speak for itself. I will note, though, that the immediate inspiration was a piece in the New Yorker (Oct 22, 2018) by Janet Malcolm called Six Glimpses of the the Past – Photography and Memory.

No comments: