Saturday, October 13, 2018


Edges
Oct 6 2018


It's safest here
far from the edge
on the flat terrain of sameness.

Not for me
any risk-taking, in-your-facing, leap-of-faithing
edginess.
No, it's the comfortable middle, muddling through.

I remember the drop-off
where I lost my nerve,
the sharp edge
of a rock-cut
and a sheer bottomless plunge;
inching up
on hands and knees
and peering over the brink,
sweaty-palmed, and trembling.
The fateful step
that marked before from after.

Like the flow edge, the journey's end
the change in phase of matter.
Not a bright line, but a pause,
where heat is lost
and water's not
solid, liquid, steam;
but becoming
            . . . in flux
                      . . . a state of in-between.
To-and-fro to the tipping point,
when an tiny seed
flash-freezes
and the universe is instantly ice.
In which we are all prehistoric insects,
as if caught in amber
just as we were
in that moment everything stopped.

The glass of water
I swallowed too fast
the clouds that turned to hail.
The scalding steam
the monster wave
the winter ice that failed.
The caustic fog
the blinding sleet
the streams becoming torrents.
The errant step
over the edge
I took, and failed to notice.

The nascent breath
slip into death
ebb into liminal blackness.
The before and the next
I question and fret
and try to make sense of, but can't.

The times I was tempted
and excuses invented
when I failed to take a chance.
How a tentative step
led to the rest
and so my journey began.

The boundaries bent
and borders I tested
when no one would let me pass.
The doors that were closed
the windows I broke
the rivers I bridged and dammed.

The envy and fear
the rush to be clear
so close to the edge
                   . . . and back.



(The image in the fourth paragraph – where I play around with changes of state in matter as a kind of edge or tipping point, and introduce water as a theme – actually comes from a real event. Here's a link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5288529/Horrific-aftermath-terrifying-ice-tsunami.html. The photo, however does not do this justice. I was originally made aware of this watching a BBC Earth documentary, and their video of the scene made a far stronger impression. I think another similar real life event – maybe even more so – would be Pompeii and Herculaneum.)

No comments: