Sunday, January 21, 2018


Designated Mourner
Jan 15 2018


A black ribbon
attached to a small button
pinned to my lapel;
handed to me by a harried man
who seemed anxious to move things along.
Was the schedule backed up?
The small chapel
over-booked?

This simple pin
was to indicate a mourner,
a family member
an intimate friend.
Whom I suppose is expected
to perform his mourning
in that very public way;
the ritual
of conventional death
in all its formal black solemnity.

Not deceased, corpse, carcass,
but the loved one, the dear departed
at peace
passed on.
Not dead, or expired,
but at rest, met his Maker,
the late . . .
called to God.

My father had died
in a hospital bed
where his body withered
and his mind wandered
and fitful sleep
came brief, but often;
a welcome respite, it seemed.
My mother, frustrated he slept so much
in his final months
and hardly touched his food;
cooking and talk
all she had to offer
and both feebly declined.
If only she had known
her simple presence sufficed;
but the need to “do something”
is a mother's calling
and a wife's declaration of love.

It was winter
and a bitter wind was blowing
and frozen ground was sprinkled with snow.
I imagined the trees
full, and dappled with sun;
but that day
their jagged branches were bare,
like bones, flensed of flesh.
Trees that seemed to stand apart
in their still majestic permanence,
indifferent
to the affairs of men;
the living and the dead,
the yet unborn.

A beautiful box was lowered,
its blonde wood, elegantly carved.
The closed casket
then disappeared under hard clods of earth;
a work of art
too briefly admired,
a piece of fine craftsmanship
a practical man, my father
would have bequeathed an after-life.

I felt detached, almost disembodied
as the funeral rite progressed;
pulled and pushed
through remembrance
procession
interment and prayers.
And when it was over
could only wish I had been
more whole-heartedly there.

That button still sits on my cluttered desk
where years ago I left it;
so familiar, I rarely notice,
such a vessel
of difficult feelings
I cannot throw it out.

By now, the box has probably rotted
the body decomposed.
Yet I wonder still
have I sufficiently honoured my father
or at all fulfilled his hopes?
The black pin, which I noticed again today;
a designated mourner
who doubts himself.
How worthy he is?
How worthy he was
when that hurried man sought him out
and pinned it to his lapel?

No comments: