Friday, December 8, 2017


Peripheral Vision
Dec 6 2017


It scurries along the baseboard,
as if lost in a maze
and feeling its way out.

I don't so much see the mouse, as sense it;
the distant rim of my retina
on continuous high-alert.
While my conscious mind
is distracted by the obvious;
the direct line of sight
spot-lit,
like jangling keys
before a giggling grasping infant.

So I wonder how much of the world
I've been missing.
Even more, how much of myself.
Of my body,
performing all its complex tasks
with such marvellous skill
unseen, unheard,
as if I were merely a passenger
along for the ride.
And even more, of my mind,
flattering itself I'm in control
when most of my brain does perfectly well,
unencumbered
by awareness
memory
sense of self.

A brief thaw
in a merciless winter
and the mice find their way in.
A new arrival, I think
as he pauses, eyes darting, looking completely lost,
then bolts, start/stop, across the living room floor
into open danger.

I can read his confusion, and fear.
His desperation
for a small dark place
the smell of kin
the calming touch of fur;
a cozy nest
hidden behind the sheet-rock.
Where a mother is grooming her pups;
tiny hearts fluttering,
pink
          ...and warm
                                 ...and sightless.



I experience a real sense of violation when I find mice inside. But I'm getting used to it. Even though they threaten the comforting division between in, and out; between the predictably domestic, and the contingently wild. My house no longer feels like my impregnable castle.

I'm impressed by how infallible my peripheral vision is. How I don't see, but experience the same absolute certainty of sight. I'm almost thrilled by the survival skill of both my unconscious mind and my primitive faculties.

I think the poem does three things.

It recalls a true experience.

It flirts with a philosophical discourse on the nature of consciousness. I say “flirts”, because anything more would be better suited to essay than poem.

And it alludes to the commonality of all living things – reading his state of mind as automatically as I read his furtive movement. And among all living things, mostly mammals. And especially those to whom we're closely related; which, unlikely as it seems, very much includes mice.

No comments: